Our King of Hearts: Omega-3s!
-By Hertha J. Woodruff, A.M.L.S., M.A.
Here are some quick, simple nutritional tips to help boost your cardiovascular health. Consuming foods with Omega-3s fatty acids daily will assist you in reaching optimal, heart health plus provide protein. Here are some options of plant-based foods with Omega-3s that contain fiber. Fiber is excellent for digestion, blood sugar and heart health. Omega-3s also provide a bonus for brain health too.
- Sprinkle ¼ cup over hot oatmeal or cold cereal.
- Stir ¼ cup into yogurt.
- For an on the run breakfast, place ¼ cup and a handful of fresh blueberries in a Ziploc bag.
- Add ¼ cup to salads.
- Add a handful to veggie stir-fries or to roasted vegetables.
- Process 1 cup in a food processor to make walnut butter. Add a little ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, and some juice from a fresh orange for a bit of sweetness. Spread walnut butter on fresh apple slices or on celery stalks.
1-2 Tablespoons of Ground Flaxseeds, or Ground Chia Seeds, or Shelled Hemp Seeds:
- Add to smoothies.
- Add to juices.
- Sprinkle on hot oatmeal or cold cereal.
- Stir into yogurt.
- Add to homemade salad dressings made in a food processor.
- Sprinkle on salads.
- Sprinkle on vegetable stir-fries or on roasted vegetables.
- Sprinkle on a baked potato or baked sweet potato.
To good health! Enjoy!
To read about my journey to becoming a vegan, please go here: Hertha Woodruff’s Vegan Journey
To view the rest of my posts, please visit the Health & Nutrition category page of our blog: Click Here
Did you know that we are now on Facebook? Please “like” our page at www.facebook.com/omfdental for great dental health tips, contests, giveaways, and great special announcements!